Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Idea

This idea had been floating around my head for quite some time. Salem Oregon, as I am sure you all know, tends to be a very conservative town. There are different organizations like Culture Shock and Rainbow Youth that have their adding benefits. Salem Youth For Change (SYFC), however, is going to be much different.

In March of this year, I did tech work for Pentacle Theatre's production of RENT. I remember the director telling me he wasn't sure how it was going to take off, because of the ignorance in this town. However, it turned out to be one of the most moving Pentacle Productions in a long time. It had a great following, and all of the participants and viewers were absolutely wonderful. That was the first physical piece of proof to me that there was potential in being radical in such a small town.

The Objective:

What I hope to see happen with SYFC is a Democracy, developed by the teens and young adults of Salem. Activism for topics like gender/race discrimination, gay rights, importance of education, possibly environmentalism, and anything YOU want to see happen.

I whole-heartedly want this to be a democracy. I want to hear your opinions. I want to get you riled up to do grand things.

Join our emailing list, SalemYouthForChange@gmail.com
And "Like" our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Salem-Youth-For-Change/194264657302063

Thanks for the support, spread the word!
-Sydney Agee

No comments:

Post a Comment